Dr. Amanda Potter on how Boy George is proving to be a truly inspirational leader as a judge on The Voice.
Growing up in the early 80’s with the wonderful music of Boy George and Culture Club, I was always impressed with George’s ability to make people feel good about themselves.
Having now watched Boy George as a judge on BBC One’s The Voice, I am once again impressed with him, but in a totally different way.
Since joining the show for its current series Boy George has demonstrated so many of the qualities of an Inspiring Leader. He brings real integrity and balance to The Voice, demonstrating compassion and consideration for the contestants, while also bringing a positive equilibrium to the judging panel.
His attitude and approach has had a positive impact on the panel; gone are the days of in-fighting and competing; the judges are now helping each other to succeed.
An Inspirational Leader – as our own research shows – is someone who is a role model for others to follow. They are visionary and future-focused, and are also passionate, engaged and committed to success.
Their personal belief, integrity and drive inspires and empowers others to achieve and deliver high standards of excellence.
Boy George is a great example of this. In fact, he demonstrates the seven characteristics of an Inspiring Leader:
- Integrity – He has authenticity and the ability to express and remain true to a clear set of ethical and moral principles
- Charisma – Boy George has immediate presence, gravitas and confidence
- Driven – His personal desire and thirst for success is apparent, encouraging contestants to adapt and change to succeed
- Visionary – Innovative and intuitive, he seeks to break down barriers and challenge the status quo
- Inspiring – Motivated and positive about the future, his enthusiasm helps others realise their potential and develop their own self-belief
- Engaging – He is an effective communicator, askingquestions and then listening to get to the heart of issue
- Passionate – He shows a real enthusiasm for the business, taking pride in his music, sharing this excitement whenever possible
When being a judge on The Voice, Boy George acts and operates with integrity as he considers the impact he has on the contestants and his fellow judges. He does this with charisma and charm. He is always smiling, he is positive and passionate about his subject: namely, the music and the artists.
The former Culture Club frontman always takes time to encourage the contestants and to see their potential. He has drive and vision. He is always interested in the contestants, asking questions in order to engage them and show interest. He inspires them to see the opportunity to learn, to grow and to succeed.
How many leaders like that do you have in your business? Do you have potential Inspiring Leaders like Boy George that have yet to be identified and developed?