In my search to re-launch my career as an Occupational Psychologist following a career break to look after my family and to study for an MSc in Organisational Psychology, I came across Zircon Consultancy and was impressed with their website and blog. After some emails and rigorous telephone interviews I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to work with them.
During my three weeks I have relished the opportunity to be really involved and have supported the business on a number of key projects they have been working on:
• contributing to the assessment of and feedback on two candidates in a key recruitment assignment for a client
• gaining an insight into a range of different psychometric tools particularly the use of the Hogan’s Dark Side to get a full picture of an individual’s capability, strengths and development needs
• reviewing and developing a generic 9 box model for talent management purposes
• reviewing and mapping newly defined professional finance competencies across to an existing competency set for a large European Organisation
• providing high level definitions for competencies to aid managers in discussing these with their staff
• developing an assessment tool to rate trainers for the purpose of accreditation to deliver a strategically important assessment skills course for a high profile client
• attending client feedback meetings
• re-writing a web page for the new management consultancy arm of a major search company, outlining the services and expertise that they offer.
• researching and writing blogs on
- managing a fair selection process that takes account of those with dyslexia
- the benefits of introducing flexible working practices into business
It’s been a fascinating if small glimpse into the world of Business Psychology and Management Consultancy and the value that Zircon can add to their clients in ensuring they have rigorous and effective processes in place to Assess, Develop and Engage their people to be the best they can be.
Coming from a HR background it was a privilege to see how Zircon use their psychology training to add real value and really challenge businesses to provide effective support and development to their teams.
At Zircon they pride themselves in supporting and developing their own people and in essence practice what they preach. I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of the team for this two weeks and helping them to achieve tight timescales and deliverables. One of my goals was to test myself and my ability to get back into full time work mode, and to utilise the skills developed through my Psychology training and my previous career in HR and Business consultancy. I can say that this has been achieved!
Blog written by: Catherine Farrant, 22nd July 2011.